I received a notice of a screenwriting contest last week that looks worthwhile and want to pass it on: The Search for America’s Newest Scriptwriter Contest. The deadline is March 21, and the prize is $5000 in each of two categories:
1. Comedy: 30-minute comedic storyline
2. Drama: 1-hour dramatic storyline
A nice touch: along with the rules you get a PDF that’s a good tutorial in script formatting for film and television—the margins to use, how to include directions, all that stuff.
Here are some quick facts about the contest:
- It is being judged by Overbrook Entertainment, the award-winning entertainment production company co-founded by two-time Academy Award nominee Will Smith and acclaimed film producer James Lassiter
- The contest is free to enter
- Two winners will win $5,000, a meeting with Overbrook Entertainment, an opportunity to have their TV script further developed, and an 18-month option agreement on their script
- The contest submissions end on 3/21/13 by 1 p.m. PT
- The contest has two categories: a 30-minute comedy and a 1-hour drama
There’s a short video starring Will Smith that explains the contest in more detail here. I enjoyed it. There are more videos on the website, including advice for writers.And there’s a story about last year’s winner here.