I came across a helpful article at the Huffington Post today on developing seven areas of writing craft we need to create a successful narrative. The very first one relates to my own predilection for experiential description, and this one shows a fresh approach to injecting personality and meaning into a setting.
Here are the seven “lessons” that are covered with explanations and good examples:
- Make Setting Do More Than Describe a Place
- Develop a Character's Interior Life
- Write a Thrilling Action Sequence
- Build Suspense
- Use Dialogue to Create Conflict
- Avoid the Chronology Trap
- Write Short, Stylish Sentences
Check it out, it’s worth a moment.
© 2013 Ray Rhamey